Europe is the second smallest continent in the world .In fact, Europeans are discovered the world and originated the world famous civilizations as well as cultures. Friends, Today I am sharing with you the interesting and amazing facts about Europe.
I am certain; you will enjoy this article regarding Europe. Let me share with you political status of Europe before sharing with you the amazing facts.
It includes 51 independent countries and 6 de facto independent counties with limited no recognition.
Following are the independent countries in alphabetical order:
Bosnia and Herzegovina
United Kingdom (UK)
Following are the de facto independent countries in Europe:
Friends, let us have a look the below amazing facts about Europe.
- It is the second smallest continent (3.931 million square meters) in the world.
- It covers 6.8% of earth’s land area.
- It covers 2% of earth’s surface area.
- Geographically Europe divided into five regions. These are Eastern Europe, Western Europe, Northern Europe, Southern Europe and Central Europe.
- It includes 51 independent countries.
- Interestingly, Europe is 2% bigger than Canada in terms of area.
- It is the third largest populous continent in the world. Europe population is (739,172,281) as of 26th May 2017.
- It is 12% of world population.
- It is believed that the name of Europe came from Greek word ‘Eurus’ that means wide.
- Russia is the largest country in terms of area and population of this continent.
- Russia is 39% of its in land area.
- European country Vatican (0.44 square kilometers) is the smallest country in the world.
- There are more than 250 spoken languages in this continent.
- German (16%) is the largest spoken language in this continent.
- There are 23 officially recognized languages in European Union. These are Bulgarian, Croatian,Czech,Danish,Dutch,English,Estonian,Finnish,French,German,Greek, Hungarian,Irish,Italian,Latvian,Lithuanian,Maltese,Polish,Portuguese,Romanian,Slovak,Slovenian,Spanish,Swedish.
- It is the richest continent in the world.
- There are five peninsulas in this continent. These are the Iberian Peninsula, the Balkan Peninsula, the Scandinavian Peninsula, the Jutland Peninsula and the Apennines Peninsula.
- It is a part of Eurasia. Do you know what Eurasia is? A combined continental landmass of Europe and Asia is called Eurasia.
- Ireland is considered to be part of Europe while Greenland (Nearby Ireland) is considered to be part of North America continent.
- The Idea to separate Europe and Asia came from Greek.
- Russia, Turkey, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan and Georgia are transcontinental countries which are both in Europe and Asia.
- It makes 44% world’s wine.
- There is a Victor Hugo street in every town in France.
- Belgium holds the world record (589 days in 2010-2011) for the longest time a democracy has ever gone on without a government.
- Mount Etna is the largest active volcano of this continent and it is also second largest active volcano in the world.
- Lake Ladoga (17,700 square kilometers) is the largest lake in Europe. It is also 15th largest fresh water lake in the world.
- Iceland has no mosquitoes at all.
- 28 European countries are the member of European Union. These are Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany,Greece,Hungary,Ireland,Italy,Latvia,Lithuania,Luxembourg,Malta,Netherlands,Poland,Portugal,Romania,Slovakia,Slovenia,Spain,Sweden,United Kingdom.
- European Country San Marino is the oldest country in the world. It was founded in 301 CE.
- River Volga (3692 kilometers or 2294 miles) is the largest river in this continent.
You may also read 111 Amazing Facts About Africa That Will Surprise You
- Mount Elbrus, Russia (5642 meters or 18,506 feet) is the highest point of its.
- In this continent Schengen Area is comprising 26 European countries which are using single visa policy. These countries are Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland,France,Germany,Greece,Hungary,Iceland,Italy,Latvia,Liechtenstein,Lithuania, Luxembourg,Malta,Netherlands,Norway,Poland,Portugal,Slovakia,Slovenia,Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.
- German is the largest economy of this continent.
- The national anthem of Spain has no word.
- 40% of Greek population lives in the capital city Athens.
- About one fourth of the Netherlands lies beneath sea level.
- Hamburgers got their name from Germany’s second largest city Hamburg.
- Christianity (76.2%) is the largest religion in this continent.
- Amazing, the world’s largest colony of ants was found in Europe. It was 6,000 kilometers long and spanned all the way from near the Atlantic coast of Spain to the northern part of Italy.
- World War II was the largest war in the world.
- Both World War I and World War II were largely focused upon Europe.
- Finland is the most forested country in this continent.
- Istanbul is the largest city of this continent.
- Interestingly, Greenland is geographically in North America, but politically it is considered as a part of Europe because it is dependent territory of Denmark.
- British Empire was the largest empire in the world.
- It is home to highest number of migrants all global regions.
- Italians do not drink cappuccino after 11 AM.
- It is forbidden to flash in the toilet after 10 PM in the evening in the Switzerland.
- Belarus is the only country in Europe that still has the death penalty.
- Netflix is unavailable in many European countries.
- It bans people from naming their pet pigs ‘Napoleon’ in France.
- Euro is the universal currency which is used in the most of countries in this continent.
- There are more Doner Kebab restaurants in Berlin than Istanbul.
- Croatia is the first country to eradicate slavery in Europe.
- Sweden has more MACDONALD’S per capita than any other countries in Europe.
- Dying in the House of Parliament is illegal in the United Kingdom.
- According to QS World University Ranking 2016-17, Europe is home to 38% best universities in the world.
- The Piano and Violin was an European invention.
- It is forbidden to hang clothes, mow the lawn, or wash the car on Sunday in Switzerland.
- According to votes of worldwide travelers 2017, Porto, Portugal is the best tourist destination in this continent.
You may also read 113 Amazing Facts About Asia That Will Blow Your Mind
- Russia has over 13,000 non-occupant villages.
- Golf started in the Scotland.
- University of Oxford is the best university in this continent.
- Charles De Gaulle Airport, Paris is the largest airport in Europe in terms of area. It is also fifth largest airport in the world.
- Ukraine (233,062 square miles) is the largest country in Europe, if transcontinental country like Russia were not counted.
- The official twitter account of @sweden is given to a random citizen every week to manage.
- The highest toilet in Europe is on Mount Blanc almost 14,000 feet.
- Vatnajokull, Iceland is the largest glacier in this continent.
- It is also a name of a moon of Jupiter.
- It is home to western culture.
- The brown bear is the largest predator in this continent.
Friends, I hope you like this Europe amazing facts article. Kindly share this article with your friends and colleagues.